Monday, November 24, 2008

Bebe gets ready for Thanksgiving travel



Bebe is getting very excited about her first Thanksgiving and meeting all of her relatives. My relatives have the most wonderful retreat in the woods on Shelter Creek. We usually have 45-50 people, and I can't remember the last time it was cold or rainy. This is a very good thing as we gather outside in a circle to share news and updates and sing our blessing. A couple of years ago my cousin got smart(er), and placed long tables outside to put all of the food that we bring. Now we can go down two sides and not have a traffic jam in the kitchen. There was also much pushing and shoving to get to the front of the line (mainly the parents). After a feast fit for royalty...southern royalty anyway, many of us take a walk through the camp. Honey Hill has many purposes and one of them is to grow stands of pine trees for lumber. Because of this, there are dirt roads all throughout, making it the favorite place for the teens and preteens in the family to learn to drive. Other than driving into a ditch, they can't get into too much trouble. Bebe will have to be especially careful because I'm sure they all will want to get behind her wheel.

I start emailing all of my cousins several weeks before Thanksgiving to see what they are bringing to the table. As this yummy list grows and grows, I get more and more excited. I come from a family of excellent cooks and this is a time to pull out your best recipes and share the bounty.

At Spectrum Art & Jewelry we are sharing the bounty with Mother Hubbard's Cupboard. If you care to help, please drop off at the gallery canned or boxed food items to help those who are hungry. We are located at The Forum on Military Cutoff Road, Wilmington, NC.

I'll take some pictures of Bebe at the camp to share with you.

Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving, save me the wishbone,

Nancy

No comments: